
Today our new President was sworn into office. And, while he is not the man I voted for, he has been elected and has my support. I pray that he will make wise choices, choices that will protect the freedom's and the country that I love so dearly.
Being the President Of The United States, one must feel an incredible amount of weight on their shoulders. A lot of pressure and a lot of critics. So, I've taken the liberty of writing a letter to President Obama with some advice. You know, in case he ever asks. Someday he might just by-step all of his many important advisors with all their experience and ask a stay at home mom of 4 what she thinks so I have to be ready.
Here's my advice:
Dear Mr. President,
It's much like being a parent. I think many of the same rules apply.
1. Never negotiate, you lose respect and they gain power over you. I made this mistake a few times and dang it if everything isn't up for negotiations now!
2. Always follow through. If one knows what is expected of them and has clear consequences that they know you will follow through with, they will rise to their expectations.
3. Practice what you preach, little eyes are always watching and actions speak far louder than words.
4. When there is a quarrel or a fight, standing nose to nose while holding hands seems to work.
5. Everyone needs a job, a responsibility so they can contribute. It's important to teach responsibility and truly, they seem happier when they can contribute and take pride in where and how they live.
6. Allowance should match the job they have, it's not fair to my 11 year old who does the dishwasher, all the trashcans in the house, mows both the front and back yard......to get the same allowance as my 6 year old who helps sort the silverware and feeds the cat.
7. Love them, have fun with them, and listen to them. I mean really listen to them, don't just pretend, they seem to know the difference even when you're a good actor like me.
8. You gotta give respect to get respect. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Learn the song and don't be afraid to sing it, my mom did all the time.
9. Find yourself on your knees often (i don't mean like Bill Clinton), it's the advice you can trust the most.
10. Lastly, it's not always easy being the parent, they don't have to always like you, but they do have to respect you. Don't confuse being the "cool friend" with being the "parent". My mom always said, "They have a lot of friends, but only one parent. They don't need another "cool friend", they need a "parent."

K, that's all. If I think of anything else, I'll jot it down for ya'! Good luck and may the force be with you.
5 comments:
Perfectly said! I love it. And for the record...your advice would be right on!
i like the sly clinton jab.
Haha...it's too perfect Anna. And we are with you 100%. I also loved the Clinton Jab.
Oh, and I told Dusty you said Addi needed the horse and he laughed and said right after your kids get one...your kids don't already have one, do they?
xoxo-PJ
PS...why doesn't Brooke have a blog?
I love this tribute nd I may have to borrow it to post on my blog too! You are so funny and all of it is true! We learne a lot about the world as parents don't we? Ya think the Lord new what he was doing?:) Thank goodness he did!:)
Okay, so I should have checked my spelling before I posted the last comment. I really do know that learn does not have an E on the end!:) I had to come back and read your advice to Jason.
Post a Comment