Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Seatbelt Fastened

3-2, them.
Top of the last inning.
Bases loaded.
2 outs.
We're up....our last chance to score before the game is over.

I turn to Lee and say, "So glad Bryson's not up to bat, can you imagine? I don't think I could handle the pressure."
He chuckles and says, "Fasten your seat belt sister cause look who's walking out of the dugout."

"oh, no! That's too much pressure for him! If he strikes out, the game is over. We lose and Bryson takes the fall."
Mr. Optimism sitting next to me says, "Relax. It's a great opportunity. He has a chance to be the hero."

The ump calls STTTRRRIKE 1!
STTTRRRIKE 2!

Recap: 2 outs, bases loaded, 2 strikes.
Bryson's up.
If we don't score off of this one hit, the game is over, they win.
No pressure though.

I can hardly stand to watch.

The crowd has grown now with the parents and players from not only our 2 teams but the teams of the upcoming game.

The pitch is thrown, he hits, it sails over 2nd base to the fence for an easy double and 2 players come in to make the score 3-4, us.

He did it!

He had an amazing hit under more pressure than even i could handle.
I'm so happy for him. Proud? Yes, but I would be proud either way.
Happy because what a great feeling for him to experience.
Happy because he's happy.
Happy that he now has more confidence in his abilities under pressure.
Happy because i know he's had at least one of those moments that every parent wants their kid to experience when they get to be a star, if even for only a moment.

Now for the rest of the story.
Since we're now up and they're the home team, they get last bats.
Long story short, they rallied back. They brought home 2 players before we could get three outs and they end up winning the game 5-4.

Bryson is bummed. More than bummed. Says it's gay. Says the ump made bad calls. Says it's the ump's mom's fault, she probably dropped him on his head when he was little. And again, it's gay that the other team won.

So his moment of glory got robbed. So it was short lived. The lesson to be learned here, Bryson, is...
You did it. You proved to yourself you can do it.
You didn't break under pressure.
You looked cute while doing it.
And, judge not that ye be not judged....you were probably dropped a few times on your head when you were little too!

The silver lining?

Bryson got Facebook back.

He lost his FB privileges a few weeks back and a few days ago he said, "Mom, I bet I can hit a double in the next game. If i hit a double, I get FB back."
And, being that I'm a bettin' mom, i said, "You're on!"

Guess who was on FB chattin it up with friends last night? :)


You rock, Bryson!



3 comments:

Darlene said...

YEAH!!! What a story! You ROCK BRYSON! But then....I've ALWAYS thought YOU ROCK!

Jenae said...

I always love to see what you have to say! You are a darling mother and I can see that you love your kids like I love mine! Isn't it fun to see them accomplish hard things? Thanks for sharing!!:)

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.